This weekend we celebrate America. It’s the Fourth of July. You will most likely don an ensemble of red, white and blue. It’s only fitting.
What is the perfect accessory? Some Fourth of July ice pops. Ice pops are a refreshing, tasty treat that make summer even sweeter.
Luckily, they are easy to make too! Here is an easy recipe for red, white and blue ice pops.
What you will need:
- ½ pound of strawberries
- ½ pound of blueberries
- 1 cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 3-4 tablespoons of sugar, or the equivalent amount of low-calorie sweetener (optional)
How to make Fourth of July ice pops:
1) Puree strawberries and blueberries and set aside in separate bowls. If you want some extra sweetness, add about a tablespoon of sugar (or the equivalent amount of low-calorie sweetener) when you puree the fruit.
2) Mix yogurt and two tablespoons of sugar (or the equivalent amount of low-calorie sweetener) into a separate bowl.
3) Using ice pop molds or even paper cups, get creative with how you mix the fruit purees and yogurt. You can layer the mixtures, add swirls, whatever you want!
4) Insert wooden craft stick and freeze until solid.
Homemade ice pops are a great way to get your daily servings of fruit. Whether the fruit is fresh, canned, frozen, dried, puréed, or 100 percent fruit juice, fruit is a great source of healthful components like carotenoids, flavonoids, phenols, vitamins and minerals. The amount of fruit you should eat depends on a variety of factors such as your age, sex, and amount of physical activity. According to a recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the overwhelming majority of us aren’t getting the recommended amounts. This table can help you determine serving sizes for your favorite fruits. Additionally, yogurt is a great source of calcium, riboflavin, protein and probiotics.
So this Fourth of July, enjoy a cool, refreshing and healthful treat while enjoying a splendid show of fireworks.