Fact: Aside from health organizations and government agencies, health professionals are the #1 most-trusted source for consumers for information on food biotechnology. As a result, Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) may be getting more questions from clients and patients about the technology, including its safety, uses, and impact on health and the environment.
Foods produced using biotechnology have been produced for more than 20 years. Yet, some consumers still have questions about these foods. This Continuing Professional Education (CPE) module provides the latest science and address common myths on these and other emerging issues, such as:
- Its safety and uses;
- Its impact on health and nutrition;
- The relationship between biotechnology and food allergies;
- The use of pesticides in traditional and organic agriculture;
- Its impact on sustainability; and
- Regulation and labeling of foods produced using biotechnology.
This module provides everything an RDN needs to confidently and accurately communicate the facts about food biotechnology to clients and patients.
By the end of this module, the reader will be able to:
- Understand the meaning and history of food biotechnology.
- Recognize the rigorous safety standards and regulatory processes that all foods produced through biotechnology must undergo.
- Identify the current and potential benefits of food biotechnology for improved nutrition and sustainability.
- Confidently answer questions about food biotechnology
Suggested Learning Codes*:
2040, 8018, 6000
*Please note that although learning codes are listed above for this program, you may use any learning code if it is applicable.
Instructions for Participants:
Step 1. Please click here to register for this free CPE self-study module.
Step 2. Read the program objectives for “Understanding and Communicating about Food Biotechnology” home study CPE program.
Step 3. Read and view the “Understanding and Communicating About Food Biotechnology” slide presentation. You can view or download a PDF of the presentation (with accompanying notes) at the link below.
(Save the presentation to your computer by right-clicking on the link and choosing “save target as.”)
Step 4. Review the CPE questions (PDF) for “Understanding and Communicating about Food Biotechnology” CPE program to ensure you have met the program objectives. When you are finished, view the CPE Quiz Answers (PDF).
Step 5. Follow this link to provide an on-line evaluation of this CPE Module.
Step 6. Download the Certificate of Completion (PDF) and put it in your files to verify completion of the CPE program and to receive one CPE credit hour.