Savory School Paste
Makes 6 servings
WHAT’S IN IT?
1 (15 to 16-ounce) can white cannellini or navy beans, drained
1 small clove garlic, papery skin removed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup cold water
3 cups pre-cut veggies, such as broccoli flowerets and baby carrots
STUFF YOU NEED
Juicer or reamer* and small bowl
Liquid measuring cup
HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER
1. Zip open the can of beans with a can opener.
2. Over the sink, dump the beans into a mesh strainer. Rinse the beans with cold water. Drain well.
3. Toss the well-drained beans into a blender container along with the small clove of garlic. Dribble in the olive oil from a measuring spoon and sprinkle in the salt, too.
4. Slice a lemon in half on a cutting board with a cutting knife. Juice ½ lemon with a juicer or reamer* into a small bowl. (Wrap up the other half and put it in the fridge for another use.)
5. Pour the lemon juice into the blender container. Then, trickle in the ¼ cup water from a liquid measuring cup. (If you like really thick paste, don’t use all the water!)
6. Make sure the blender lid is on tight! Then, blend on low speed for 15 seconds, or until all ingredients are combined.
7. Dump your tasty paste into a medium-size bowl for pasting together veggies!
* TIP: A reamer is a kitchen tool used to get juice out of citrus fruits like lemons, limes and oranges. If you don’t have a juicer or a reamer, use your hands to squeeze the lemon half really hard so the juice goes into the bowl.
WHY IT’S GOOD FOR YOU
Per serving (just the paste):
80 Calories, 2.5 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 240 mg Sodium, 10 g Total Carbohydrates, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 0 g Sugars, 3 g Protein, 0% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C, 2% Calcium, 6% Iron
Per serving (with veggies):
90 Calories, 2.5 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 260 mg Sodium, 14 g Total Carbohydrates, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 2 g Sugars, 4 g Protein, 180% Vitamin A, 35% Vitamin C, 4% Calcium, 8% Iron