These resources cover all aspects of food biotechnology (also known as genetic engineering, or “GMOs”), including the science on the safety and benefits for food safety, the environment, and sustainability; U.S. regulation of foods produced through biotechnology; and foods produced with biotechnology that are currently available or are under development.
Food Biotechnology: A Communicator’s Guide to Improving Understanding, 3rd edition Main web page (Links to PDFs of the full Guide and all individual chapters: Language & Key Messages, Presentation, Presentation Handouts, Media Tips, Biotechnology Experts, Additional Resources, and Glossary; full PowerPoint presentation in English (in .pptx and .pdf formats); links to infographics and other resources; Links to download the Guide in seven additional languages)
PDF of Full Guide (PDF only; all chapters, no PowerPoint presentation)
IFIC President and CEO David B. Schmidt testifies before the U,S, House Committee on Agriculture regarding mandatory biotechnology labeling laws, March 24, 2015
These resources cover a range of topics, from the basics and regulation of foods produced through biotechnology, to the role of biotechnology in sustainable agriculture, to potential benefits of food biotechnology.
- Physicians Offer Expert Advice on Food Biotechnology (Videos)
- Questions & Answers About Food Biotechnology
- Benefits of Food Biotechnology Fact Sheet
- “What’s for Lunch?” Video: An entertaining look at some of the issues related to the various ways food is grown prior to making it to our plates.
- Sustainable Agriculture: Can Biotechnology Play A Role?
- Food Biotechnology Backgrounder
These resources answer questions on some of the most-covered animal agriculture topics.
- Animal Agriculture Resources Page
- Questions and Answers: Animal Antibiotics, Antimicrobial Resistance and Impact on Food Safety
- Questions & Answers About Labeling of Milk Products Containing Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (rbST)
Modern Food Production
- Your Food, Farm to Table (animated video)
- Get the FACTS on Food Biotechnology (video)
- Fact Sheet: Common Food Production Practices and Their Unique Contributions to the Food Supply
- Fact Sheet: Celebrating the Achievements of Modern Food Production and Technology
- Farm to Fork: Experts on Our Food Supply (4 videos)
- Expert Perspectives on Food Production: Feeding the Growing Global Population
Resources for Health Professionals
IFIC has several resources available for health professionals, from consumer research to continuing professional education modules, which can help enhance your communications about food biotechnology.
The IFIC “Consumer Perceptions of Food Technology” Survey explores U.S. consumers’ perceptions of various aspects of plant and animal biotechnology, as well as sustainability and new and emerging technologies. Formerly the “IFIC Survey of Consumer Attitudinal Trends toward Food Biotechnology, the 2014 survey is the 16th in a series conducted since 1997. In addition, the “2016 Food & Health Survey” explored many of the same issues.
- IFIC Foundation “2016 Food & Health Survey”: Americans Remain Divided on Perceptions of GMO Labeling
- IFIC 2014 “Consumer Perceptions of Food Technology” Survey
- IFIC 2012 “Consumer Perceptions of Food Technology” Survey
- Food Biotechnology: A Study of U.S. Consumer Attitudinal Trends Reports (2001, 2006-2014)
Continuing Education Modules:
- Understanding and Communicating about Food Biotechnology
- Food Biotechnology 101: A Primer on the Science & the Public Debate CPE Program Intro
- Food & Agricultural Biotechnology: Health Impacts in Developing Nations CPE Program Introduction
Additional information on food biotechnology may also be found on the Food Insight blog.